Thursday, September 27, 2012

Gift #145- Slurping Coffee


I like to wake the kids up each morning by singing to them.  But I don't sing just any old song.  I like to make it up as I go along.  I really like to sing opera style.  But I usually save my opera voice for mornings when the kids are extra grumpy.  They love that!  This morning as I was about to go upstairs to wake them for school, I remembered how my dad would wake my sister and I sometimes when we were little.  He would come and sit in between our beds and slurp his coffee really loud and slow!  And then he would say "AAAHHHH".  He would continue his slurping until one of us smiled or finally put our feet on the floor.  I decided to try that with the kids this morning.  Sam and Macy smiled.  I think that I got a smile out of Jack too.  Especially when I told him that was how his Papa would wake me up in the mornings.  Josh did not love it however.  He looked at me like he wanted to throw his pillow at my head.  I can't say that I blame him.  When the coffee slurping didn't work, I moved on to alternating between the slurping and my opera voice.  Worked like a charm.  The memory of my dad sitting on the little desk in between our beds slurping his coffee made me smile this morning.  I have so very many wonderful childhood memories like that.  Each special memory is a gift.  Thanks Dad.  
Josh thanks you too.  :0)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Gift #628- Finishing