Monday, July 16, 2012

Gift #78- The Japanese Hardware Store



We have a great hardware store out in town called Nafco.  It is very similar to Lowes or Home Depot.  You can get flowers, plants, potting soil, lumber, nails, home decoration, etc.  It is super fun to go in and browse the aisles.  You never know what you are going to find.
I went in for fertilizer today, but left empty handed.  Can you guess why?  It is somewhat difficult to know what you are getting!  :0)  


Roly Polys are taking over my garden.   So last week, I put one in a bag and took it to Nafco.  I was determined to find some type of repellent.  I went to the customer service department, showed the employee the bag, and made an X with my arms.  Usually an X with your arms means NO.  I thought that might work.  It did not.  So then I found myself making all kinds of funny gestures to get the point across that I wanted roly poly repellent.  Just close your eyes and imagine that for a second.  :0)  I finally thought to ask if anyone spoke English.  I should have asked that in the first place.  A very kind gentleman came over and led me right to what I needed.  When I got home, Jack reminded me that I had a translator app on my phone.  I wish I would have remembered that before I started acting out the phrase "roly poly repellent".  ;0)

You can find these delicious-looking dog treats in the pet aisle!   Smaller versions of similar fish can be found in the grocery stores.  People eat them as snacks or in soups and salads.  I have not been brave enough to try one yet.


 This is another strange thing that we have noticed here in Japan- you can buy pet bugs at Nafco or many of the stores around town.  They also sell all kinds of jelly's that the bugs eat.  It is very interesting.  My niece Lily would be in heaven!  She loves bugs!  This particular bug is called a Hercules Beetle.  Sam wants one!  I love animals, but I draw the line at insects and reptiles!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Gift #628- Finishing