Friday, February 15, 2013

Gift #232- Valentines's Day


Valentine's Day was always a fun day in the Randall house.  My mom would make a spaghetti dinner and we would eat by candlelight.  She used her red tablecloth and her best dishes.  We always looked forward to it.  She also made each one of us a heart-shaped Rice Krispie treat with our name written in pink or red icing.  When Jack came along, we started the same traditions.   Each year we make rice krispie treats and have a candlelight spaghetti dinner.  This year we changed it up a little.  We had breakfast for dinner, but we used our fancy tea glasses and ate by candlelight.  The kids loved holding the tea glasses just right.  Sam demonstrated "pinkies out".  Josh demonstrated the Redneck way of holding a wine glass, and Macy demonstrated a princess way.  Josh has been watching a little too much Duck Dynasty, but I love that he is getting in touch with his roots.  :0)  I gave the kids pencils and markers to draw on the paper tablecloth.  I knew that the party was getting a little out of hand when Macy caught her pencil on fire.  It was bound to happen.  It's just not a real party until something catches on fire.  Aside from that, a lovely time was had by all.


Macy chose to write this on her side of the table.  "Girls go to college to get more knowledge.  Boys go to Jupiter to get more stupider."  The spelling of this wonderful little rhyme was  so ironic that I just had to share it.


This was Macy's Valentines Day card to me-  "What are we having for dinner?"  Too funny!


But she totally redeemed herself with this creation that she made out of Legos!  I LOVED it!


Josh made me this medallion in art class.  I told him that it was very unique and beautiful.  He then proceeded to tell me that he actually didn't make it specifically for me.  He just made it in art class and had it lying around.  He did the same thing at Christmas when he gave me my egg-shaped salt and pepper shakers.  He said that he got them at the thrift store a few days prior for 2 bucks.  I thought that last night might be a good teachable moment for Josh.  I told him how grateful I was, but shared with him that if he ever started dating or got married, that he should just say "Here.  I got this for you."  
And just leave it at that.  :0)   Gotta love Josh!


I probably should have set some rules on the amount of icing allowed.  Next year.

Hank.  Sorry you couldn't be here.  You will always be our Valentine.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Gift #628- Finishing