Friday, September 21, 2012

Gift #141- My Grandma


My Grandma passed away very peacefully this morning.  She was 94 years old.  Until this past year, she was active in her church, singing at the rest home, and hanging out with her girlfriends down at the river.  She fully lived her 94 years.  Her body finally gave out, but her mind stayed sharp until the end.  She loved to make people laugh.  She spoke at many senior citizen church events where she told funny stories and jokes.  She also loved to make homemade cards for people. She spent much of her days cutting and gluing and making treasures for those that she loved.  Serving others helped keep her young. 

One of my favorite memories of her was a Valentines Day that we spent together.  Hank and I were not married yet and he was away at college.  I was fixing up the little house behind my parents house when she called me and asked me if I had a Valentine.  When I told her that I did not, she asked if she could be my Valentine and came over with lunch.  She had drawn hearts on paper plates and brought pickles, heart-shaped pimento cheese sandwiches, and a mason jar of sweet iced tea.  We had lunch together in the little house and she shared with me about how she had met my grandpa.  I have always treasured that day with her.

Today she is with Jesus.  Upon arrival at the pearly gates, I can imagine that her first words to St. Peter were "What took you so long?"  And then I picture her smiling, telling him a joke and reaching into her pocket and handing him a sucker.  A big part of my heart is heavy.  But an even bigger part is so happy that she is finally Home.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Gift #628- Finishing