Tuesday, October 02, 2012

Gift #150- A Little Bit of Culture


The kids attend Japanese culture class at school once each week.  They learn Japanese words and phrases.  They have learned a few little songs and how to make origami samurai hats.  This morning, I attended a little culture class of my own.  I met with the administrator of a Japanese preschool.  Starting in a few weeks, I will be teaching English at the school and we were meeting to discuss some of the details.  I assumed that we would meet at the school, but instead, we met in her home.  It was a very old traditional Japanese style home.  Wooden floors, tatami mats, low tables, and cushions.  It was so very unique.  We sat on the cushions on the floor and had many different types of tea and a small peach pastry.  After our tea, she asked if I would help her make onigiri (rice balls).  She showed me how to shape them into perfect triangles and bundle them up.  I had the chance to meet her husband and her grandchildren.  One of her granddaughters played Fur Elise for me.  It was just such a great experience.  She sent me home with a gold box full of onigiri and a very happy heart.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Gift #628- Finishing